Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding :: Biliopancreatic Diversion BPD
:: Tube Gastrectomy :: Gastric Bypass
Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
Adjustable gastric banding. In this procedure, a hollow band made of special material is placed
around the stomach near its upper end, creating a small pouch and a narrow passage into the
larger remainder of the stomach. The band is then inflated with a salt solution. It can be tightened
or loosened over time to change the size of the passage by increasing or decreasing the amount of
- Keyhole approach .. Less scarring or wound problems Earlier return to work (1-2 weeks)
- Adjustable : by filling port the outlet size can be reduced
- Reversible: By removing fluid or the band.
- No malabsorbtion
- Lower risk
- Easy to cheat .. if chocolates or sweets taken.
- Mechanical problems:
- pouch dilatation
- food bolus obstruction
- slippage of the stomach through the band erosion
- infection of the band or port leak
- Revision rate ? 5 -10%
- An entree portion forever.
Optimal pouch capacity 30 mls
Usual weight loss With Lap Band 50-60% of excess weight lost in 2 yrs
To find out more about Laparoscopic Gastric Banding visit
Victorian Bariatric Institute website on